When other drivers speed or otherwise drive in a reckless way, it puts everyone else at risk, including themselves. That said, there are certain people that are even more vulnerable to injuries in these types of accidents, especially if they’re older.
According to a story from the Palm Beach Post, a 21-year-old Lake Worth Beach man was charged with vehicular homicide and reckless driving after a May 20 vehicle accident killed a 65-year-old man. Investigators with the Palm Beach Sheriff’s Office (PBSO) said that the 21-year-old was driving over 100 miles per hour in a 45 mph zone when he collided with the 65-year-old man’s Toyota Tacoma pickup truck at around 7:30 p.m. near the intersection of Lantana and Teakwood Road in Lake Worth.
The 65-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene, while the 21-year-old man and his passenger, a 21-year-old female, each suffered serious injuries and were transported to Delray Medical Center.
Authorities later found data in the 21-year-old man’s airbag control monitor that showed the vehicle was traveling at 80 mph during the collision, but had reached speeds of 114 mph just before the crash. The man’s bail was set at $50,000 and he was placed under house arrest with an ankle-monitor prior to his release.
Why Are Older Adults Vulnerable to Injuries in Lake Worth Car Accidents?
In instances like the one above, it’s not difficult to see the danger in speeding and reckless driving. It significantly decreases the driver’s ability to react in certain situations, and makes the impact of any collision that much more forceful and hazardous. Still, when you’re an older adult and you’re involved in one of these accidents, you’re at even higher risk of suffering serious, even fatal injuries. This is due to complications that are common in many older adults, like:
- As people age, their bodies tend to become more fragile. Bones may become weaker, making them more susceptible to fractures in the event of a collision.
- Older adults often experience a decline in muscle mass and strength, which can affect their ability to brace themselves during an accident or recover from injuries.
- Aging can lead to slower reaction times, which may make it more challenging for older drivers to respond quickly to sudden changes in traffic conditions or avoid accidents.
- Older adults are more likely to have pre-existing medical conditions, such as heart disease, diabetes, or osteoporosis, which can complicate injuries sustained in a car accident and increase the risk of complications during recovery.
- Many older adults take medications for various health conditions, and some of these medications can have side effects that impair cognitive function or physical coordination, potentially affecting their driving ability and response to accidents.
- Age-related changes in vision and hearing can impact an older driver’s ability to perceive and react to hazards on the road.
Regardless of your age, you have certain legal rights as an accident victim in Lake Worth. That’s where an experienced Lake Worth car accident lawyer can help. By working with our team, we can help you navigate the claims process to make sure you’re able to recover from your injuries and hold the responsible parties accountable.
Experienced and Dedicated Lake Worth Car Accident Lawyer
Dealing with the aftermath of a car accident in Lake Worth can be incredibly challenging, but you don’t have to face it alone. At the Law Offices of James G. Graver, P.A., we’ll provide you and your loved ones with experienced legal support and guidance that will allow you to secure maximum compensation for your losses.
Our dedication is to ensure you have access to all the support needed for a complete recovery from your injury or loss in a car accident, which can include compensation for your:
- Medical bills
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Funeral and burial expenses, if the accident resulted in the death of your loved one.
Don’t hesitate to get the help you need. Contact us today to set up a free consultation to get started.